Advice from Your Trusted Neurosurgeon in Jackson, MS
Neurosurgeons are specialists that focus on treating issues that affect the brain and spinal cord. They are highly educated and trained to deal with a variety of neurological issues, from herniated discs, injury, tumors, and other chronic diseases. In many cases, individuals may have to seek out the help of a neurosurgeon to help with a specific problem. While neurosurgeons can provide an extensive amount of surgical treatment options, solutions can also include non-surgical or minimally invasive alternatives.
Signs it’s Time to Schedule an Appointment with a Neurosurgeon
If you or a loved one are experiencing unexplained symptoms that are related to the nervous system, it is likely you have a lot of questions. Fortunately, a neurological exam can provide you with an accurate diagnosis, in addition to effective treatment solutions.
Here are a few important signs that it may be time to schedule a consultation with an experienced neurosurgeon in Jackson, MS:
- Persistent Pain: If initial solutions offered by your primary care physician don’t help you manage your chronic pain, a neurosurgeon can help diagnose and treat the underlying condition and relieve subsequent symptoms.
- Chronic Headaches: If you are prone to severe and chronic headaches or migraines that persist despite treatment, it’s time to consult a neurosurgeon. Headaches can be caused by a number of issues and if they become more frequent or the pain significantly increases, it could be an indicator that you have a more serious problem.
- Unusual Numbness or Tingling: If numbness or tingling only occurs in one part of the body or shows up unexpectedly, it could signal a stroke or another serious condition such as nerve damage. Nerves are responsible for sending signals to your brain and spinal cord which manage pain. If there is any interference with these signals, you may experience pain even if nothing painful has occurred.
- Balance and Dizziness Issues: Dizziness or feeling faint is an occasional, yet common occurrence. However, if this seems to be occurring more often or you begin to lose your balance, it’s time to schedule a consultation
- Movement Problems: Difficulty moving when walking or controlling unintentional jerks can indicate problems with your nervous system and should be assessed by a neurosurgeon.
- Confusion or Memory Issues: Memory problems, changes in personality, or confusion that get worse over a relatively short period of time could be signs of Alzheimer’s Disease. In this case, a neurosurgeon can confirm your diagnosis and provide the proper course of treatment.
Preparing for Your Consultation
It can help both you and your neurosurgeon if you come prepared to your appointment. Keep the following in mind before your consultation:
- Write down all your symptoms and other information related to your health including the medications you are taking, previous illnesses, and family history.
- Create a list of questions to ask, express any concerns, and take notes during your appointment.
- Ensure previous test results are sent to the neurosurgeon or bring them with you.
- Bring a family member or friend with you who can help you retain the information.
For over 30 years, Dr. Lewis has diagnosed, treated, and improved the lives of countless patients using the most innovative medical technologies. From consultation to recovery, patients who are treated at Jackson Neurosurgery Clinic are actively involved in the process and always in control of their own health. We will work closely with you to create a treatment and recovery program that is tailored to your specific needs so you can be sure that you are receiving the most comprehensive solutions available.
Consult a board-certified neurosurgeon in Jackson, MS to find relief for a range of neurological conditions. Contact us today at (601) 366-1011 or request an appointment online. We’ll find a solution that works for you!